By Farhad Daftary
Read or Download Ismailis in Medieval Muslim Societies PDF
Best asia books
Lonely Planet Myanmar (Burma) is your passport to the main proper, updated recommendation on what to determine and bypass, and what hidden discoveries wait for you. recognize Shwedagon Paya's sheer dimension and mystical air of secrecy, stopover at the water-bound temples on Inle Lake, or flow over Bagan's temple tops in a hot-air balloon; all together with your depended on shuttle better half.
This amazing e-book is a bright, hugely unique account of the construction of a brand new Asia after the second one global struggle - an unstoppable wave of nationalism that swept the British Empire apart. It tells the definitive tale of ways India, Pakistan, Burma and Malaysia got here into lifestyles and the way British interference in Vietnam and Indonesia fatally formed these international locations' futures.
This ebook offers a comparative examine of the imaginative and prescient, skill and dynamism at the a part of governments in chosen Asian Pacific international locations as they interact within the distribution of e-governance. as a result, it creates a platform for mutual studying and gives a dispassionate assessment of mega e-projects.
What occurs whilst a dictator wins absolute energy and isolates a kingdom from the skin global? In a nightmare of political concept stretched to insanity, North Korea's Kim Jong Il made himself right into a residing god, surrounded via lies and flattery and past feedback. As over million of his topics starved to demise, Kim Jong Il roamed among palaces staffed by way of the main attractive ladies within the kingdom and stocked with the costliest food from world wide.
- A Short History of South-East Asia
- Information Retrieval Technology: 4th Asia Infomation Retrieval Symposium, AIRS 2008, Harbin, China, January 15-18, 2008 Revised Selected Papers
- Vietnam: Asia Pro Eco Program : feeding China's expanding demand for wood pulp : a diagnostic assessment of plantation development, fiber supply, and impacts on natural forests in China and in the South East Asia Region
- Lonely Planet Indonesia
- Revisiting Talwar
- The PHILIPPINE ISLANDS 1493-1898
Additional info for Ismailis in Medieval Muslim Societies
45 46 Ismailis in Medieval Muslim Societies Early Ismailism, extending from the middle of the 2nd/8th century to the foundation of the Ismaili Fatimid state in North Africa in 297/909, is the most obscure major phase in the entire history of Ismailism. Many aspects of the early stages of the Ismaili movement will doubtless continue to be shrouded in uncertainty due to a lack of reliable sources. The Ismaili historiography which may be utilized for studying the schism of 286/899, is rather meagre.
The schism of the year 286/899 was the first major one in the community, and it had important consequences for the history of Ismailism. 45 46 Ismailis in Medieval Muslim Societies Early Ismailism, extending from the middle of the 2nd/8th century to the foundation of the Ismaili Fatimid state in North Africa in 297/909, is the most obscure major phase in the entire history of Ismailism. Many aspects of the early stages of the Ismaili movement will doubtless continue to be shrouded in uncertainty due to a lack of reliable sources.
5. See especially W. Ivanow’s The Alleged Founder of Ismailism (Bombay, 946). 6. Nizam al-Mulk, Siyar al-muluk (Siyasat-nama), ed. H. /968), p. , The Book of Government; or, Rules for Kings, tr. H. , London, 978), p. 23. 7. Abu Hamid Muhammad al-Ghazali, Fadaʾih al-Batiniyya, ed. ʿA. Badawi (Cairo, 964), pp. 2–36. 8. For a survey of these legends, see F. Daftary, The Assassin Legends: Myths of the Ismaʿilis (London, 994), especially pp. 88–27. 9. Marco Polo, The Book of Ser Marco Polo, the Venetian, Concerning the Kingdoms and Marvels of the East, ed.